Justice Breyer was robbed at machete-point over the weekend at his vacation home in the West Indies. The intruder made off with $1,000. Notably:
- The Supreme Court Police (?!) are on the case as are the US Marshals, including Dept. Samuel Gerard no doubt.
- In 2004, Souter was accosted by a gang of toughs while jogging.
- In 1996, Ginsberg was the victim of a purse snatching.
In all this preparation for the California Bar, one can’t help but find absurd iterations of common law torts and crimes:
Assault: an intentional act creating a reasonable apprehension (knowledge) in the plaintiff of immediate harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiffs person
- Flashing a gun to intimidate someone (which they are aware of)
- Trying to punch someone in the face (which they are aware of)
Battery: an intentional, harmful or offensive touching on the person of another
- Beating someone with one’s fists
- Knowingly giving someone an STD
- Poking a hole in a condom to get someone pregnant
Burglary: felonious entry with the intent to commit a felony therein